Carole Swiecicki PhD
Hello! I am a licensed clinical psychologist and specialize in helping adults, teens and children overcome symptoms of anxiety, depression, and challenging emotions, particularly when these stem from having experienced stressful and/or traumatic life events. Along my career, I have seen the positive impact that well-researched and validated assessments and therapies can have on people’s lives. I am passionate about making these available, connecting them with the values and needs of individual clients.
I enjoy and thrive in thinking critically to solve meaningful problems and I have done this for over 15 years in both individual and organizational settings. This might be reflected in conducting a psychological assessment to determine what is interfering with a child’s learning, such as determining whether there is a learning disability versus an emotional disorder related to trauma exposure.
Alternately, it might be seen in helping an individual therapy client recognize and process challenging, repetitive thought patterns that have been resulting in anxiety and stress that interfere with their happiness – and helping my client to disrupt this pattern.
My primary theoretical framework and area of expertise is Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, a well-researched treatment model that has been shown to reduce symptoms of anxiety, depression and trauma. I am also trained in Acceptance and Commitment Therapy, a “third generation” treatment that is consistent with the CBT framework. I also conceptualize cases using the frameworks of attachment, family/community-systems, and humanistic theories, focusing on the whole person and community/family in which a client lives.
I have delivered and supervised these in many settings, including outpatient clinics, schools, in homes, and have consulted with therapists delivering in these settings as well as in residential treatment facilities.
I grew up in Florida and attended the University of Florida for undergraduate studies. I completed my Masters and Doctoral degrees in clinical psychology at St. Louis University in St. Louis, MO, and originally came to Charleston to complete my predoctoral internship as a Trauma Intern in the Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences at MUSC. I completed a postdoctoral fellowship at St. John’s University in Queens, NY, furthering my experience delivering trauma interventions and having the opportunity to work in what was the most diverse county in the United States. I then spent 6 years conducting psychological assessments and providing therapy for traumatized youth at the children’s hospital in Norfolk, VA before relocating back to the Charleston area in 2013 with my husband.
I am a national trainer (of therapists) in Trauma-Focused Cognitive Behavioral Therapy and Alternatives for Families: A Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, which are two best-practice therapies for children and teens who have experienced traumatic events.
After a long journey, my husband and I expanded our family and now live in the Charleston Lowcountry with our daughter and family cat. When I’m not working, I enjoy gardening, painting, and cheering for the Gators!
Licenses & Certifications
- Licensed Psychologist, South Carolina SC#1327
- National Trainer, Certified Supervisor, and Certified Therapist in Trauma Focused-Cognitive Behavioral Therapy
- National Trainer, Certified Supervisor, and Certified Therapist in Alternatives for Families: A Cognitive Behavioral Therapy
- Trained in Cognitive Processing Therapy and Parent-Child Interaction Therapy
- Completed the American Society for Reproductive Medicine Mental Health Professional Certificate Course
- Bachelor of Science, University of Florida, 2001
- Masters of Science (Research), Psychology, St. Louis University, 2004
- PhD, Clinical Psychology, St. Louis University, 2006
- Psychology Internship, Trauma Intern, Medical University of South Carolina, 2006
- Postdoctoral Fellowship, St. John’s University, 2007
- National Children’s Alliance Board of Directors, Past Member and Chair of the Board
- South Carolina Network of Children’s Advocacy Centers Board of Directors, Past Member And Chair Of The Board
- Child Advocacy Centers of Virginia, Past Board Member
- American Psychological Association, Member
- Association for Behavioral and Cognitive Therapies, Member
- American Society for Reproductive Medicine (ASRM), Member
- ASRM Mental Health Professional Group Member